Michel Roux Jr.’s Lemon Pancake Gâteau01.6.2018
A wonderful dessert from Michel Roux Jr. The tart taste of the lemon is perfectly complemented by the pancakes.
You can catch him at BBC Good Food Show on Sunday 17thJune. See him around the Show in live interviews and in the Big Kitchen. Tickets for BBC Good Food Show are now on sale, visit https://www.bbcgoodfoodshow.com/birmingham-summer for more information.
Image courtesy of Christian Barnett
- 2 eggs
- 125g unbleached white flour
- 80g wholemeal flour
- 500ml milk
- Pinch of salt
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh berries, to serve
For the Lemon Butter
- 3 eggs
- Juice and a grated zest of 3 lemons
- 160g caster sugar
- 75g butter
- To make the pancakes, mix the eggs into the flours with a whisk, then add the milk gradually to avoid any lumps. Finally mix in the salt and lemon zest and leave the batter to rest for 1 hour.
- Add a smear of vegetable oil to a non-stick pan and cook the pancakes. They should be very thin and well cooked, almost dry.
- For the Lemon Butter Whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and zest together in a saucepan. Place over a medium heat and stir continuously until the mixture thickens. Do not boil. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve, then whisk in the butter, cut into small pieces. Cover and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ Gas 6. Line the base of a round, non-stick cake tin, about the same diameter as the pancakes, with greaseproof paper. Place a pancake in the tin followed by a thin layer of the lemon butter. Repeat the layers until all the pancakes and lemon butter have been used. Cover with greaseproof paper and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin, then cut into slices when cold and serve with fresh berries. If you like, decorate with mint and orange zest.